PCI Express® EtherCAT® Slave Interface
Convert your PCI Express System into an EtherCAT Slave Device
- Add EtherCAT Slave (ECS) functionality to your PC
- The EtherCAT Slave Controller address space is directly mapped to the PCI Express address space.
Simple Configuration and Rapid Application Development
- Easy Configuration by esd's EtherCAT Master or other masters
- Sample EtherCAT Slave Information File (ESI file in XML format) is provided
- esd's EtherCAT Slave API library and sample code for rapid application development are included
Bus Master Support
- The FPGA contains Bus Master DMA Support to offload the CPU from copying the output process image data into the host memory. This is utilized by the esd EtherCAT Slave Stack.
Customization on Request
- 20 of the 36 LVTTL I/Os can be configured as 10 I/Os with 2.5 V level LVDS
- Other customized configurations are available on request
esd is a member of the EtherCAT Technology Group (ETG).
EtherCAT Slave Interface for PCI Express
The ECS-PCIe/FPGA is an EtherCAT Slave Controller board designed for the PCI Express bus. It utilizes a Beckhoff IP-Core which is implemented in an Altera® FPGA and configured for 8 FMMUs, 8 Sync Managers, 60 kB DPRAM and 64 bit Distributed Clocks. The FPGA connects between the PCI Express bus and the two Ethernet interfaces on the front panel.
Because of this simple hardware topology and the use of a “soft” controller the design offers a maximum of flexibility. The PCI Express system can act as an I/O node. An EtherCAT master can use several EtherCAT protocols like CoE, FoE and EoE to communicate with this EtherCAT slave device.
SYNC/Latch I/Os and Share I/Os
Via pin header connectors equipped on the ECS-PCIe/FPGA 36 3.3 V LVTTL I/Os are available, including the signals from the EtherCAT Slave Controller: 2x Sync and 2x Latch for system synchronization.
Device drivers for Windows® and Linux® with documentation and EtherCAT slave examples are included in the scope of delivery. Drivers for other operating systems, especially real-time operating systems, are available on request.
The EtherCAT Slave card is also available in PCI Express low profile form factor (ECS-PCIe/FPGA-LP). For XMC and PMC systems similar boards are available (ECS-XMC/FPGA, ECS-PMC/FPGA).